Who are we?
Labour for a Republic is a new network of Labour party members and activists who support Britain becoming a republic. Our support for core Labour values, such as social justice, reward for hard work, and rights matched by responsibilities, has led us to oppose the concept of hereditary public office unaccountable to the people.
What do we do?
We meet regularly and plan how to build support for republicanism within Labour – looking at ways to engage with members, councillors, MPs and other elected representatives. Although we are working towards a long-term goal of committing the Labour Party to adopt republicanism as an official policy, we are currently working on promoting the following issues:
- Extending FOI legislation to cover royal affairs and business concerning official role and use of public funds.
- Assuring our elected representatives the right to respectful but critical discussion of royals to be allowed in Parliament.
- Head of State to uphold UK commitment to democracy and human rights; and an end to contacts with despots.
- Labour commitment to review of funding of monarch taking account of moves to a ‘smaller’ monarchy.
- Review of oath of allegiance for politicians, police, armed forces, and other service workers.
How do I get involved?
We’ve only just started and we’d love to hear from you – so if, like us, you’re a Labour Party member who wants to help us become a republic then email email@example.com (and if you’re not in Labour, then do check out the non-partisan organisation Republic)